Posted by & filed under /dev/random, Tools & Methodology.

Even though the official release date is not until March 1st, I upgraded BackTrack 5 to R2 today following this excellent guide.

But after the full upgrade I found that VMware Workstation was not working. Ah, the fun of being an early adopter. Time to patch and recompile the sourcesĀ  (thanks to Weltall for providing the patch).

Open a terminal, and enter the following commands:

prepare-kernel-sources
cd /tmp
wget http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/vmware802fixlinux320.tar.gz
tar vxzf vmware802fixlinux320.tar.gz
./patch-modules_3.2.0.sh

Voila. You should now be able to start VMware Workstation. Now update VMware tools in your VMware virtual machines, and you should be ready to go. Happy hacking!

9 Responses to “Fix VMware Workstation 8.0.2 on BackTrack 5 R2”

1. damian

will this address an issue with vmware tools installed on backtrack 5 r2 (virtual environment) or fix an issue with vmware workstion installed on backtrack 5 r2 as the host machine?

I just upgraded my vmware workstation to 8.0.2 on my host and I am having issues upgrading the vmware tools in my backtrack 5 r2 kde x64 virtual environment.

2. frevvo.com

To add to that, these recipes are also designed to help your body fight what
    is known to be the metabolic adaptation phenomenon. Mix the ingredients in a small bowl
    until evenly combined and set aside for grilling. You will need to obtain the
    following ingredients to make one gallon of liquid goat’s milk soap:

3. Verla

The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my apple
    ipad and tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot drop,
    just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views.
    I know this is totally off topic but I had to share it with someone!

4. http://www.youtube.com

However, it has been proven that everyone needs some down time so they can just relax.
    It stands for Advanced Video Codec High Definition. What are
    some of your favorite moments of ‘Japaneseness’ in video games that you’d like
    to give a shout-out to.

5. qsine

Greetings from Idaho! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided
    to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break.

I love the knowledge you provide here and can’t wajt too take a
    look when I get home. I’m amazed at how qujck your blog loaded on my mobile ..
    I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, excellent blog!

6. Trilive Singapore - 2 links

I’m curious to find out what blog system you have been utilizing?

I’m having some minor security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more safe.
    Do you have any recommendations?

7. ville ricevimenti milano

I blog quite often and I seriously thank you for your information. Your aarticle
    has truly peaked my interest. I am going to book mark yor website and
    keep checking for new details about once per week.
    I opted in for your Feed as well.